Saturday, January 11, 2014

Chicken Wild Rice

As a Minnesotan I am pretty sure it is a prerequisite that we make Chicken Wild Rice at least once in our lifetime, if not once a week in the winter. Ok, not that frequently, but it is a great comfort food. I found the original recipe that I used here. I have made a few changes, mostly not worrying about making it "skinny." I really should, but for whatever reason I really don't look for the reduced anything cans when buying the soup.
Before I get into the recipe I will add a picture of my helper.

First the ingredients:
5-6 boneless, skinless Chicken breasts
1 cup Wild rice
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 can Cream of Celery soup
1 can of water
1 package of onion soup mix
fresh mushrooms  (This is a change from the original recipe. I had them sitting around and thought why not use them in this as well.)


1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Mix everything except the chicken breasts together

mmm looks pretty


3. Place the rice mixture in a 9x13 baking dish
4. Place the Chicken Breasts on top of the rice mix and cover with aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 1 hour covered
6. Remove cover and bake an additional 30 minutes

yummy!!

7. Mix/Shred the chicken and serve hot.

I love how easy this is to make. I used to be intimidated by Wild rice because I wasn't really sure what to do with it. I also like that it doesn't require a lot of ingredients and what it does call for I usually have on hand. Hope you enjoy it!

1 comment: